Xiaoxiao Liu, PhD
Director of Products and Services
Xiaoxiao Liu joined CuraCloud in 2016 and now serves as the Director of Products and Strategic Development. She is in charge of CuraCloud’s software AI products and customized AI development services in the US. She is also leading the effort to obtain FDA 510K clearance for the company’s first AI product in the US. She also manages clinical collaborations and business development activities.
Prior to joining CuraCloud, Dr. Liu worked at Allen Institute for Brain Science in Seattle as a senior data scientist. Her focus was on developing machine learning methodologies that helped reconstruct neuron morphological structures from high-resolution microscopic images, with the ultimate team goal of figuring out how the human brain worked. She helped organize the BigNeuron project, which was a global scientific community effort to advance computational methods for automatically tracing 3D neuron structures from microscopic images. Before Allen, Dr. Liu had worked at Kitware as a R&D scientist for four years. During her time at Kitware, Dr. Liu was one of the core developers of Insight Toolkit (ITK), the world’s largest open-source image processing library. The open-source project provided hundreds of advance algorithm modules, covering topics in image processing, registration, segmentation, quantification, and reconstruction. Dr. Liu has also been a principal investigator and a co-investigator of several research grants.
Dr. Liu received a B.S. in Computer Science in 2003, and an M.S. in Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence in 2005 at Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST), China. She received her Ph.D. in Computer Science in 2010 at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Xiaoxiao Liu, Marc Niethammer, Roland Kwitt, Nikhil Singh, Matt McCormick, Stephen Aylward, Low-Rank Atlas Image Analyses in the Presence of Pathologies, IEEE Transaction of Medical Image Analysis, 2015 Dec;34(12):2583-91
- Zhi Zhou, Xiaoxiao Liu, Brian Long, and Hanchuan Peng, TReMAP: Automatic 3D Neuron Reconstruction Based on Tracing, Reverse Mapping and Assembling of 2D Projections, Neuroinformatics, Vol.14, Issue.1, p41-50, 2015
- Liu X, Niethammer M, Kwitt R, McCormick M, Aylward S.,Low-Rank to the Rescue – Atlas-Based Analyses in the Presence of Pathologies, IEEE Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI) ;17:97-104. (oral presentation), 2014
- McCormick M, Liu X, Jomier J, Marion C, Ibanez, ITK: enabling reproducible research and open science, Frontiers in Neuroinformatics, Feb. 2014
- Xiaoxiao Liu, Ipek Oguz, Stephen M. Pizer, Gig Mageras, Shape-correlated Deformation Statistics for Respiratory Motion Prediction in 4D lung, Proc. SPIE Medical Imaging, Vol. 7625, 2010
- Xiaoxiao Liu, Rohit Saboo, Stephen Pizer, Gig Mageras, A shape-navigated image deformation model for 4D lung respiratory motion estimation, IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro (ISBI’09), p875-p879, 2009 (oral presentation)
- Xiaoxiao Liu, Ja-Yeon Jeong, Joshua H. Levy, Stephen M. Pizer, A Coarse-to-fine Shape Prior for Probabilistic Segmentations Using A Deformable M-rep, Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR’08) Workshop on Mathematical Methods in Biomedical Image Analysis (MMBIA), p.1-8, Anchorage, 2008 (oral presentation)
- Xiaoxiao Liu, Zhiguo Cao, Bo Peng, Yiu-Sang Moon, DSA Image Registration based on Multiscale Gabor Filters and Mutual Information, International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ICIA’05), 2005 (oral presentation).